Finnish Refugee Council (FRC) / Suomen Pakolaisapu is an International Non-governmental Organisation with Head Office in Helsinki. FRC advocates for the rights of refugees, displaced populations and migrants, and supports their new beginning. By reinforcing equality and creating opportunities for everyone to lead a good life, FRC promotes the establishment of stable and peaceful societies.
FRC is currently implementing a growing portfolio of humanitarian and development cooperation projects in Uganda, Myanmar, and Ethiopia. To facilitate further portfolio growth, FRC is searching for an experienced and development-oriented
Senior Finance Officer
to oversee and develop financial management of the international programme.
Description of main tasks
- Provide financial oversight and budget control of international projects;
- Supervise the implementation of FRC’s financial and administrative policies and procedures and support country offices to develop country specific policies and procedures;
- Provide support and technical backup for country office financial and administrative staff;
- Support the International Programme and country offices to develop and draft budgets for project proposals.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure financial and administrative processes, e.g. accounting, reporting, and procurement, are compliant with donor requirements and FRC’s policies and procedures;
- Support country offices in financial reporting to institutional donors;
Implement and develop internal controls;
- Participate in recruitment, onboarding, and capacity building of financial and administrative staff in country offices;
- Coordinate financial and administrative staff in country offices and supervise the management of humanitarian and development projects on finance-related issues;
- Travel to country offices for monitoring, internal control and evaluation, and training assignments and monitor and train, as per need, from remote;
- Support colleagues in Finance and Administration Department in HQ in Helsinki when needed in areas of accounting, financial reporting, human resources, and general administration.
The Senior Finance Officer responds to the Director of the Finance and Administration.
Requirements and key competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in a similar role
- Extensive grant management and compliance experience with large institutional donors (e.g. EU and UN)
- Commitment to FRC’s values
- Analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from all FRC country offices
- Proficient written and spoken English language skills
- EU citizen or holder of a valid permit to reside and work in an EU country.
- Cultural awareness and understanding of FRC’s operating contexts
- Previous working experience in developing and/or fragile countries
- Proficiency in Finnish
Contract and conditions
Permanent contract. Employment starting in May or as soon as possible.
Salary and conditions are in accordance with the Finnish Refugee Council’s salary scale.
Applications including CV and cover letter should be sent to email@example.com by 21st of April, 2021. Please use the subject “Senior Finance Officer”.